Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Shondes


Wow, I just realized how 80's my blog looks. It's literally like if they had blogs in 1985. That doesn't really surprise me, people (in real life) have commented many times how i'm stuck in the 80's. Oddly, I wasn't even trying to make it look 80's, i'm sure if I had, it wouldn't have worked out so well.

Since I love irony, I don't actually have an 80's band for you today, or even an 80's influenced band, just a 90's/punk/riot grrrl influenced band. Anyways, the Shondes are from Brooklyn and happen to be friends of mine. They're continuing the riot grrrl tradition, but giving it their own little twist. You can tell just by their name, which is yiddish for shame of disgrace. What I really love, however, is the mix of the violins and folk music into the punk mix. Sophisti-punk? I dunno. Sophistipunkicated? Perhaps I should stop while I'm ahead.

At times, it seems like a punkier version of the dresden dolls. At other times, I hear bikini kill, others the smashing pumpkins. I love all of those bands, so i'm not complaining!

Oh, and their new album my dear one drops on May 4th! Soooooo mark your calendars.

Check out a free song here

And their myspace here

No comments:

Post a Comment