Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ólöf Arnalds- Við og Við


If you're like me, you love Joanna Newsom. You also can't wait until February 23rd for her new album either (it's funny, because that's my brother's b-day, and he doesn't like her at all). To tide us all over, may I introduce you to Ólöf Arnalds.

She's like a less-polished Icelandic version of Joanna Newsom, without all that fancy orchestra backing her up. It's more visceral, intimate, kind of what I imagine having Joanna Newsom play at my house right when the sun's coming up after we've been up all night doing all sorts of 18th century romantic things. Like seeing plays and riding our horses or something.

Track 3 sounds the most newsom-esque, but I'm probably making her sound too much like Joanna. She's definately got her own feel, and overall sounds much more like a 60's acid-folk musician than a modern day folk one.

This album, Við og Við, is actually a couple of years old, but just being issued in the US now. (I know, I know, we never get anything good in this god-forsaken place).

Ripped at 320kb and awaiting your eager ears here.

Also check out her myspace.

2 comments: