Saturday, February 6, 2010

Introducing...Pompoir


I still haven't gotten all my hearing back from last night's show in sacto at the hub. First, a local kdvs dj, Julia, played her first live set as Waxy Tomb. Interesting experimental/crimson wave stuff. I'll probably get around to posting her debut cdr sometime, if she doesn't mind. San Kazagascar also played, another sacto local. He does a country/psychedelic rock thing that was pretty good, just not really my thing. The 'headliner' was easily Pompoir, a magical band from that great big thing above us, Canada. (Vancouver, to be exact. What the fuck is up with Vancouver? They've really got some good shit cooking up there these days, don't they?)

Just let me quote their myspace:
"pompoir (also known as "playing the flute") is the practice of stimulating the man's penis solely through use of the woman's vaginal muscles. Both partners remain still, and the woman strokes the man's erection by rhythmic, rippling pulses of the PC muscles, so this practice is best performed in a woman on top position. Performing Kegel or pelvic floor exercises can increase a woman's skill in Pompoir by strengthening the relevant muscles, and allow her to identify, and isolate individual muscles, to contract them in turn to provide the rippling sensation"

Oddly enough, the music doesn't really correlate to what I imagined after checking out their myspace. It's really just melvins influenced grunge. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I love grungey rock, and happened to be in a certain mood that definitely helped. They also really fucking rock-and rock hard. The woman also sings, which gives it almost a gits feel at times, if they were more like the Melvins. I love the gits, and when Pompoir hit their stride (which I feel is when she's singing lead and the guy's complementing her), I felt like I was in Seattle circa 1989, the real fucking deal.

They also did a couple of covers, which were excellent. Normally, it takes me a while to get into bands, and seeing a band live is usually not enough time for me to wrap my mind around it. It's the mark of an unusually talented band when I was completely wrapped into the music by the second song.

The crowd was small, but the hub is ridiculously small to begin with, so it was nice. I got some cool pics and was way too close to the band for my ears' health.

I bought a copy of their new one-sided 12'', "exploding time". It doesn't showcase the band very well, unfortunately. It's very cool though- the other side has a cool silk-screened design. Hopefully, I'll get some of their other releases and give them a spin too. I'm not sure if i'll rip this one for you all to listen to. If you all really want it, perhaps. I do definitely recommend you check out their myspace and buy something, or at least see them live if they ever come around your 'zone'.

Pompoir
San Kazakgascar

2 comments:

  1. Could you please post the exploding time 12". I have just bought it but its still in transit. A digital copy would be really cool,thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please post the exploding time 12". I have just bought it but its still in transit. A digital copy would be really cool,thank you

    ReplyDelete