Thursday, January 21, 2010

Widow Babies- Jetpacks


Sorry about the delay. I hate excuses so I won't give you one.

Perhaps, today's post will make up.

I normally post 7 inches, because, well, it's easier to copy and takes less work, and generally are rarer. However, when I came across the Widow Babies a couple of months back, and didn't find them anywhere on the 'net, I was thoroughly shocked and disturbed. See, I think that the period including and immediately after the punk explosion- I'll say '76 to '84 or so- is musically, the most fascinating and important period in rock music (but also lot of other genres) in all of humanity. You 60's buffs can shut up- I'm convinced and I'm not changing my mind.

Now alot of things happened musically in this period, but I personally am a fan of what happened because of punk. Obviously, then, my favorite modern music directly takes from the spirit, style, sound, etc, and combines it with new and more modern things, thus being new and old, forward and backward at the same time.

Perhaps it's the 'scene' that I find myself in, the times, the larger trends in 'diy'/indie, or just my perception, but all I seem to hear about is another animal collective variant or lo-fi grimey noise rock. I'm probably just complaining here, but as the famous sociologist C. Wright Mills mused, the self is the junction of history and biography. So maybe I should step back and ask why the current musical trends are they way they are, and why they're so prevalent here in Sacramento. I have a couple ideas...

Enough bullshit. This is a music blog dammit, and I've got some damn good post punk influenced female-vocalist mother fucking rock. The Widow Babies are from L.A. and I feel the 'soul' of the Minutemen in their work (if not the direct sound, but they have made a song about Mike Watt). Stylistically, it's got lots of polyrythms, giving it a raincoats feel, but no violins. I guess, kind of a Raincoats meet A Certain Ratio meet a couple other things. The closest modern equivilent I can think of is New Bloods, whom I have already blogged about. Of course, someone else already has said it and better: "quick-paced African-tinged surf punk". Yeah, mostly.

It's a really cool clear vinyl. I recommend spending 10 bucks for it, if nothing else. Yeah, that's all it costs.

Ripped at 320. Link in comments.

Myspace

Buy at olFactory Records

2 comments: