Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Siddal-Frozen Garden 7"

I love, love, love dream pop. I also love shoegaze and darkwave and...

You get the point. But I love dream pop perhaps the most (of those closely related genres). So when I came across some Siddal my ears perked up (haha, literally and figuratively). I haven't posted any dream pop on here. Not 'traditional' as if there really is a traditional dream pop band, perhaps say the Cocteau Twins. Did you ever notice however, that even though they're quoted as being the godmother of dream pop, that they don't really sound alot like most dream pop bands? I mean, Treasure and Head Over Heels both have actually a pretty dynamic guitar sound. Maybe the later dream pop is more influenced by shoegaze? Thinking out loud I guess.

Siddal doesn't particularly sound like the Cocteau Twins, but they are both dream pop, so stylistically it's similar. I guess it's more like ethereal, like the Cranes. If you like the Cocteau Twins, chances are you're going to like Siddal as well.

Siddal was from Portsmouth, Virginia, comprised of Elaine Winters (vocals, keyboards) and Richard Brinkley (guitar, bass, programming). They were active from about 1992 to 1999. This 7" I have for you today, is their first. Usually, I feel it's important to start with the band's first work and evolve with them. Unless their first album is shitty or stylistically very different (Cocteau Twins are a case in point, but also My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr...don't get me started) than their more celebrated work.

So, without further ado, I present to you, Siddal's first 7", Frozen Garden. I didn't take any pictures, because I never use them and it's a waste of space. If that really bothers you, I can take some pics. The vinyl's a really pretty plum purple too.

If you're still interested, check out this cool little page with a bunch of info.

Ripped from a near mint vinyl at 320kb, of course. Link in the comments.

1 comment: