Friday, April 2, 2010

Emily Reo-minha gatinha


I've really been enjoying Emily Reo's work of late. I stumbled upon her myspace page a while back, and initated a lovely conversation. I even played a song on my previous radio show last quarter, a preview from her then forthcoming album.


Well, much to my pleasant suprise, after finishing up my show yesterday, I saw her new album, Minha Gatinha, sitting in the new cd section. I immediately stopped what I was doing (seriously) and listened to the whole thing. It's one of the best new cd's in a while from this psych-folk-lo-fi-wierdness genre.


Why? Well, for one, it's lo-fi, but not "too" lo-fi. I like lo-fi, but there is a limit. If all i'm hearing is hiss, then there's no point.


Two, it's "weird", or hinging on expiremental, but it's not too far out. It has semi-normal patterns and they have song like qualities, but it still feels very unconventional. Sure, sometimes, I enjoy my crazy psych folk with no structure at all, but rarely.


Third, common to the trend I see happening (I don't think i'm making this up, but perhaps) alot of this type of genre has been getting more "dancy". No one in no way will ever dance to this music. In general, this is how I prefer it.


Anyways, I really am enjoying her new album. It's really cheap, so there's no excuse not to get it.


Check it out here

No comments:

Post a Comment