Sunday, December 20, 2009

Birds Fled From Me


Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing a favorite of mine, and a local to boot. Rachel Williams, or Birds Fled From Me, is perhaps at this time Santa Cruz's (ca) best indie folk musician. We don't have too many.

She just got back from an European tour, and she kept complaining of jet lag. The only thing I could tell that was off was she was really nervous, but shit, I would be too, and she had a ton of her friends there which probably was what made her nervous in the first place. Anyways, her voice was powerful, beautiful, and intense, and she even played the guitar. For a 'learner', she sure seems pretty good to me. But, I don't play anything so I can't really judge.



I do love small local shows. There was about twenty people there total, and I think I was pretty much the only person there she didn't personally know. I'm not complaining, the dynamics produced some interesting and unique sing-alongs.



As for a style, well, she does some a capella stuff with loops, and now some stuff with guitar and a bassist and drummer. (sorry, guys, I don't know your names). Oddly enough, I like her fuller band sound better, it turns her more into a folk/rock singer than just another female folk singer with an acoustic guitar. On one of her new songs, she reminded me of Chrissie Hynde or Pat Benetar. Which I think is good, because now that Sleater-Kinney isn't around, we kind of need a strong female rock personality in the indie world.



I've kind of neglected the fact that two other bands played. That Ghost, another band I enjoy, from Santa Rosa played first, but as he's a guy, I'll just let you check out his myspace. John Houx also played, and finished up a two-month tour. Very dylan-esque.



I also recorded the show, I haven't looked at it, but hopefully it came out decent. If it did, I'll put that up here for you to listen to as well. She played a couple of songs you can't find anywhere.



That Ghost John Houx Birds Fled From Me

Also, for your enjoyment, is her debut album, Deeper Lurking. Ripped @ 320. Link in comments.

2 comments: