Tuesday, August 3, 2010

On the Corin Tucker Band

I rarely venture into the hype or "down and dirty" of daily music news reporting, but something has fired up my muse enough to bother throwing a few cents to the wolf pack.

You may or may not have heard of Sleater-Kinney. I assume you have, because well frankly, my blog is named after one of their songs, although some stumble here unintentionally I'm sure. Anyways, if you are a fan, then you may also know that Corin Tucker's solo band, aptly titled the Corin Tucker Band dropped a new single. The song, in my opinion is good- I am tempting to call it great- but the vocals are too quiet in my opinion, but that's not the point.

A number of posts I've seen reference her time as head singer of S-K, which is fine. Many, however, whine about how it's no S-K or the "old" corin, or the old sound. Again, I could care less about those aspects. What I find fascinating, is that we can't judge her new work on its own. She didn't reform Sleater-Kinney with new members, she created a new band.

Of course, you only have one voice in life, so some amount of comparison between the two will always exist- but to solely judge it based on her previous work not only diminishes the current work but the old as well, by trapping the artist, fan, and work to that era and preventing the artists' current work from standing alone.

So in the end, yes, her new band sounds a little bit different than Sleater-Kinney- but that shouldn't count against the work. It's insulting to compare her work of one era to another, especially since it's with a totally new band!

If you haven't heard the new single, Doubt, you can hear it at pitchfork.

No comments:

Post a Comment