Friday, October 22, 2010

Christmas Comes Early For Us Thanks to Jesus


I love Zola Jesus, but since I haven't seen her new EP posted anywhere (maybe I'm just bad at finding things), the internet police may be on top of their shit with this release. So I'll make the post fairly cryptic and those of you that follow my semi-frequent postings will get a treat. Ironically, the music is very cryptic as well...

Anyways, I definitely urge you to listen to her work and her new EP, as it's fantastic, it's so good you'll want to buy it. It's basically a crazy psychedelic freak out mixed with rock, dream pop, darkwave, and more recent sounds, like chillwave, with some synths thrown in for good measure.

Musically, it's kind of a faster, less ominous, more rock based Grouper. This is the perfect weather for fall, dark, eerie, but not too sedated. The album was recorded in the middle of a Wisconsin winter, which clearly comes through on the record. At times, it feels like a darkwave opera, which is fine by me. It also reminds me of what the Cocteau Twins would sound like if they were a new hip band today, although Nika Danilova's vocals (while great) are not quite Elizabeth Frasier's.

I can't wait until her next full length in 2011. Hopefully the stridulum ep will tide us over.

D/L (only 192kb, sorry, but I can get flac if anyone wants it)
Buy it

No comments:

Post a Comment